Tuesday, January 8, 2019

Using technology in the Elementary Schools seems rife with worries and wonderings. Not only from teachers, but from parents, as well.  What if they accidentally access inappropriate content? Am I damaging their young minds by exposing them to more screen time? Is technology really improving student learning? How can I teach my students to use technology when I don't know how to use it? My students are too little, they can't do that.

No matter where I go, I hear questions similar to this everyday.  Although many teachers are trying bits and pieces, many are still grappling with questions that keep them from truly taking the leap into integrating technology.

Technology and young learners can be terrifying. However, it can also be amazingly gratifying! My job as the Instructional Tech Support Teacher is to help ALL teachers feel comfortable enough to start integrating technology into their teaching. How do I do this? Good question! At this point, my goal is to be available to teachers. To show them the possibilities and acknowledge there will be failures! After all, we don't learn without failing! I am to be part of their support system, to answer questions, model, brainstorm or do whatever they need to be successful with instructional technology.

I believe from the bottom of my heart that technology offers opportunities for voice, self expression, individualization, collaboration for students of all ages that previously wasn't available to students. Using technology students can create, collaborate and communicate on a much grander scale (even if its only with the classroom down the hall or a class room across the country.)

I'm excited for this New Year. I'm excited to make connections with more teachers and to fan the flames that other teachers have already started! If we work together we can and will create learning environments for students where technology is seamlessly integrated. We just have to get beyond our own fears of technology so our students can spread their wings and soar!




1 comment:

  1. You are doing an excellent job of learning your new role! So proud to work with you!

    ReplyDelete

Reasons I don't do Feedly or read blogs. . . .

Reasons I don't do Feedly or read blogs. . . .Twitter and Podcasts You see, I am a person with minimal free time. I am a wife, parent...